Denim Ipad Case

Posted by Wood | Saturday, February 12, 2011 | , , | 0 comments »

Jim came back from the fancy fabric store (yes, ladies, when you have a house-husband you can send him on errands to the fabric store while you're at work) with a scrap piece of raw denim that had a weird selvedge. It cost something like 50 cents, and I had no idea what to do with it until it occurred to me that it was perfect size for the iPad case I wanted to make as a gift.


Honestly, I have never had anyone explain the trendy selvedge denim to me in any way that makes sense (I understand it's made on older shuttle looms, and that it's less liable to fray) and maybe this isn't even the fancy selvedge. I just thought it looked cool.


To make an iPad case, all I did was take the measurements provided online for the device and added a little bit along each edge for the seam allowance. I lined it with a nice soft red cordouroy fabric for added protection:


For the closure I made a band that the top flap could fit into. I like how it kind of looks like the rolled leg of a pair of jeans.

We field tested it and sure enough, it even keeps out the great toddler menace:




Most of the iPad cases out there are pretty expensive. This one cost less than $1 to make!

0 comments