Vacation knitting

Posted by Wood | Friday, March 11, 2011 | , , , , | 0 comments »

While we were traveling, I brought a skein of Stonehedge Fiber Mill's "Almost Handspun" yarn (the label has the name of the animals it came from on it!), hoping to turn it into a sweater for Gram. The pattern I used is the Fisherman's Pullover by Veera Valimaki. A few times while I was knitting, Gram would ask me what I was doing, and I'd tell him I was making a sweater for him. Each time, he'd say: "I hate sweaters! Stop knitting!" A sweater vest I made for him last summer has a too-small neck opening (another vacation knitting project, but completed without a ruler), and I fear the difficulty of getting it over his head has ruined sweaters for him.



Well, I'm not one to stop working on things I know my children hate (see last night's dinner).


I finished the sweater about a week into our trip. Luckily, my daughter loves sweaters and she's wonderful about wearing things I've made, and I'd knit a size 4 thinking it would be best for Gram next winter. The sweater fits her perfectly right now, and the thick yarn is great for spring. She loves to shed her coat as soon as possible, so I'm guessing this sweater will get a lot of use on the playground in the next few months.


Hopefully my boy will be over his sweater aversion by next winter.

0 comments